Lyft Driver Requirements
The driver requirements for Lyft are exactly the same as Uber except for 1 thing. It’s easier for someone under 23 to get approved for Lyft because Uber requires drivers under 23 to provide proof of having drivers license in the U.S. for 3 years while Lyft only asks for 1 year. If you are entirely new to ride share and want to start with Lyft then read on as I have laid out everything you need to know about Lyft driver requirements.
- At least 21 years old
- Have licensed driving experience of one year in US
- One valid driver’s license in US
- Use a 4-door vehicle that’s eligible
- Proof of residency for your city, state or province
- Current auto insurance in your name if driving personal car
- Have an in-state registered car for driving
- Vehicle safety inspection sticker
- Own a smartphone: iPhone 5s or newer running iOS 11+, Android devices running 7+
- Take a forward facing driver profile photo
- Complete and pass an online screening which reviews driving record and criminal history
In short, sign up to drive once you are sure that you have this checklist complete. Then share required documents like license, registration, safety inspection, proof of insurance, and photo. Next, complete screening for background check. Finally, log in to the Lyft App to start driving for pay. Your special sign on bonus that you get by using my code or directly going through this site has a deadline. The time frame you are given to complete a certain amount of rides (depending on your city) starts as soon as you sign up! So make sure you have all of your documents updated and organized beforehand so that you will have the best chances of getting your bonus by getting on the road ASAP! This is a BIG chunk of cash that you don’t want to miss out on!
Does Lyft Do Background Checks?
Yes, Lyft does background checks for drivers. The screenings are done by a third-pary company called Sterling BackCheck and takes 3-5 days to complete on average.
The background check includes a review of your Motor Vehicle Record. In addition, a criminal background check is administered.
A background check will vary in cities. Rideshare regulations and local laws govern drivers based on criteria specified by the city.
Here is a quick list on things required to pass.
- Zero accidents with a fatality
- No reckless driving charges
- Clean criminal history reports
- DUI or drug related offenses (ZERO)
- Void of insurance charges
- Absolutely no driving with suspended license charges
Lyft Car Requirements
To drive for Lyft you will have to have a specific vehicle that meets the Lyft vehicle requirements. In 2019 the car requirements for Lyft are fairly simple.
Lyft Vehicle Requirements
- 4 Door vehicle which can transport a minimum of 4 passengers
- New or nothing older than 15 model years old
- No salvaged, reconstructed, or rebuilt titles
- Rental prohibited unless approved by Uber programs like FAIR Car Rental
- Cosmetic damage, missing parts, commercial branding or taxi cab paint jobs not allowed
How to become a Lyft driver
Read the easy step-by-step guide to becoming an Uber driver here.
Here is a quick summary of the necessary steps:
- Step 1. Fill out the genuine driver application here.
- Step 2. Complete a car inspection to meet Lyft requirements.
- Step 3. Wait patiently for your background check to clear.
- Step 4. Push the Go Online button in the app and start driving.
Lyft Driver Insurance Requirements
All Lyft drivers are required to have car insurance that meets the minimum financial responsibility of the state. While logged into the driver app Lyft maintains automobile liability insurance as well.
So, how does Lyft Driver insurance requirements work? Lyft insurance works like this: When a Lyft Driver is not logged into the driver-app they’re covered by personal insurance policies. When a driver turns the app on they are covered by liability insurance from Lyft.
Once a rider is picked up a high level of liability insurance is activated. This is $1 million per incident excess liability coverage. The rideshare insurance policies cover liability claims and not the drivers vehicle. Personal insurance claims will have to be filed for the car.
What to do if you don’t meet Lyft driver requirements!
So, what do you do if your application to drive for Lyft gets denied? Every driver is not accepted. Here are some reasons Lyft headquarters may not approve you.
You are under the required age of 21.
Lyft requires all their drivers to be 21 years old. 47 states recognize adults at the age of 18. Seems Lyft has more reasoning behind their age rule.
You are missing a Social Security Number, or not a legal U.S. working resident.
If you are an immigrant, I suggest consultation with an immigration lawyer. Your visa document may prohibit you from working in the U.S., but Lyft may allow you to sign up with an SSN # you have. This could violate the terms of your issued visa, and is not recommended.
The background check administered was NOT passed.
If Lyft declines your application due to a failed background check, request it yourself. It’s important to see what is hindering you from making money as an Lyft driver. If what’s listed is correct it will take about 7 years to drop off your record.
Your Lyft car doesn’t qualify.
If your vehicle doesn’t meet the guidelines for driving with Lyft, simply upgrade. You don’t have to buy a new car, used is just fine. Lyft even has a leasing program called the Lyft Express Drive program. The payment for your used or leased vehicle will be offset by the money you earn with Lyft weekly.
You lack ALL the in-state documents required.
To drive for Lyft the following in-state documents are mandatory:
- Car registration
- Car insurance
If you need to secure auto insurance the following companies issue free quotes online.
- Liberty Mutual Insurance
- 21st Century Insurance
Conclusion: Making Money with Uber
Simply follow the information above and fill out the Lyft driving application. This is the best way to see if you meet the Lyft driver requirements. It only takes minutes to complete. If you sign up with my personal referral link you or ANY family member can get a CASH bonus.